fans: alumni chapters
Merchandise and/or Promotional Items
In order to safeguard Michigan State University's intellectual property and satisfy the university's graphic standards, alumni chapters planning to display university trademarks for merchandising programs or promotions requires review and authorization from the University Licensing Programs office. All merchandising activity must be sourced through a company licensed with MSU. For a complete list of university licensees, please see below or visit the Find A Vendor page.
Examples of merchandising activity include:
- Sales of products for fundraising programs
- Sales of products at chapter events
- Sales of products to group members or staff
- Sales of products through either campus or private retailers
- Sales of products to any third party
- Promotional product giveaways
Ready to Get Started?
Getting permission to use MSU trademarks is a simple process. Use the Licensing Authorization online form linked below to request approval. If you require assistance, contact University Licensing Programs at 517-355-3434 or e-mail email@example.com.
- University trademarks may not be altered and all merchandise must include the chapter's name/logo prominently on the product.
- All chapters should adhere to the university brand standards as instructed by MSU Communications and Brand Strategy (CABS) and the Alumni Association.
Royalties generated from the commercial use of MSU's marks support student scholarships and programming for MSU students as well as athletic scholarships for student-athletes, less the actual administrative expenses of running the trademark licensing program.
The administrative expenses include maintaining the legal requirements of trademark registration, addressing product infringement, supporting the Fair Labor Association and Workers Rights Consortium and maintaining the Trademarks and Licensing Office.
If the merchandise is for resale to anyone else, even as a fundraiser for charity, royalties must be paid by the vendor and will be reflected in the price to the alumni chapter placing the order.
Steps for Approval
- Complete and submit the online Licensing Authorization Form to University Licensing Programs for review and approval. You may also download and submit a hard copy of the Licensing Authorization Form here.
- Present a fully executed authorization form to your supplier with your order.
- Direct your supplier to submit your artwork to University Licensing Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org for review and approval.
- Follow up with either your supplier or the University Licensing Programs office for the status of your order.
Questions? Please call or e-mail University Licensing Programs at 517-355-3434 or email@example.com.
MSU Brand and Sponsor Requirements
Alumni chapters that may work with a third-party sponsor and/or partner that wishes to produce co-branded merchandise or promotional items must receive permission to use the university's brand prior to the sponsorship activity. The Licensing Authorization form will be required to ensure that an officially licensed vendor is used and the standard royalty rate is applied.
Custom Order Online Options
- Create My Tee - CreateMyTee.com
- Promoversity - Promoversity.com
- Retro Duck - RetroDuck.com
- Underground Printing - UndergroundShirts.com
- 4 Imprint - 4imprint.com
- Kotis Design - kotisdesign.com/college
- Explosion Sportswear - explosionsportswear.com
- Custom Ink - customink.com
- Zazzle - zazzle.com
Locally Based Vendors (Mid-Michigan)
- Retro Duck - 219 Abbot Rd., Ste 22, East Lansing, MI - 517-410-2271
- Underground Printing - 209 M.A.C. Ave., East Lansing, MI - 517-853-1212
- Meridian Screen Printing & Embroidery - 3662 Hulett Rd., Okemos, MI - 517-351-2525
- Custom Embroidery Plus - 420 E. Saginaw St., Lansing, MI - 517-316-9902
- Slick Shirts Screen Printing - 805 Vine St., Lansing, MI - 517-410-2271
- Johnny Mac's Sporting Goods - 4255 5 Oaks Dr., Lansing, MI 48911
Product Suppliers/Ad Specialty Companies
- Infinite Marketing Solutions - 2760 East Lansing Dr., East Lansing, MI - 517-333-8889
- A. Dean Watkins East - 2395 Jolly Rd, #170, Okemos, MI - 517-349-7700
- Schiamberg - 3596 W. Arbutus, Okemos, MI 517-349-4747
- Cards 4 You (Jungle Jane Promos) - 15725 Grove Rd., Lansing, MI - 517-321-2452
- Foresight Group - 2822 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Lansing, MI - 517-485-5700
- R.A. Dinkel & Associates - 4641 Willoughby Rd., Holt, MI - 517-699-7000
- Mahoney & Associates - 12750 Escanaba Dr., DeWitt, MI - 517-669-4300
- Integrity Marketing Products - 5905 Middlebelt, Garden City, MI - 734-522-5050
For a complete list of licensed vendors, please visit the Find A Vendor page.